May 26 @ 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
Helicopter Day is an indoor and outdoor event held at the Strategic Air Command and Aerospace Museum in celebration of aviation careers and the history of helicopters.
Spectators will be able to watch in wonder as, helicopters from military, law enforcement, commercial and private owners fly over the horizon and land right in front them. The helicopters begin their decent at 10 a.m. After all helicopters land, spectators can visit with helicopter pilots about their careers and get a firsthand view of each aircraft. Helicopter rides will be available through Johnson Helicopter Services and Galaxy Enterprises on a first-come-first-serve basis.
Activities will take place inside the museum from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., including a drone workshop on flight and safety, free movies in the Museum’s theater, free helicopter balloon sculptors, and a make-and-take project.
Outdoor festivities include:
- From 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. helicopters will make their landing.
- Helicopter rides, offered by Johnson Helicopter Services and Galaxy Enterprises, will begin at 11 a.m. and will operate until 4 p.m. The price per person is $60 plus tax, for an estimated eight-minute ride. Registration for rides will start at 9 a.m. outside.
Indoor festivities include:
- Drone workshop sponsored by Midwest Performance Flyers.
- Free balloon helicopters made by balloon artist.
- Theater shows are free and include Crazy Engineering: Mars Helicopter – presenting the challenges of helicopter motion on Mars, The Future Goes Vertical – presented by NASA on the future of rotorcraft.
- Admission applies to indoor activities – $12 adult; $6 youth 12-4.