The Education Department at the SAC Aerospace Museum is committed to inspiring the next generation of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics leaders through hands-on, inquiry based learning experiences. The department designs curriculum, handles materials preparation, brainstorms new educational events and activities, and delivers instruction to museum guests. There are three internship opportunities in the Museum's Education department. These internships provide the opportunity for hands-on work in a busy environment and the chance to contribute to the curriculum and planning that goes into educating the community.
Science Zone & Field Trip Internship
The Museum seeks an intern to work with the Museum’s Education and Outreach Coordinator to develop curriculum in the STEM learning areas of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics. Activities and lesson plans developed can be based solely on STEM fields or can also integrate the STEM field in relation to aviation. The intern will work closely with the full-time education staff to develop lesson-writing techniques, instructional delivery skills, and certified STEM curriculum for museum guests. Interns may assist in Science Zone or on field trips. Professional development opportunities may be available to interns.
Specific duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Develop content specific activities that relate to your preferred field of STEM education.
- Contribute ideas toward future educational events.
- Assist with materials preparation for upcoming events.
- Assist with staffing science zone & field trips
- Assist Education & Outreach Coordinator as needed.
Desired traits, characteristics, background or skills:
- Must be able to provide a sample activity or lesson plan related to preferred field of STEM education with the Internship application.
- Knowledge of current issues and trends in STEM education, or the willingness to research.
- Available during weekdays and weekends.
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to work well in a team environment and independently.
- Works well with children and adults
- Problem solver
Commitment: Part-time, 20 hours per week.